Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cheesy Veggie Chowder

Last night we had this Veggie Chowder  for dinner.  I made it similar to the original recipe with only a couple of modifications.  I used omitted the celery and onion and used zucchini instead of broccoli due to food restrictions and personal taste. I used one cup of sharp cheddar and 1 cup of colby jack instead of 2 cups cheddar.  I also used 1 Tablespoon of butter instead of the 2 called for and Bisquick Gluten Free baking mix instead of flour to make it safe for all of us to eat.

It was just a bit time consuming to put together with the veggie chopping, but not too bad.  Start to finish was just about an hour and that was with dealing with a very helpful 3 year old.  It smelled delicious cooking.  Even the 9 year old commented on how good the kitchen smelled when he came in from playing outside.

The finished product was really tasty!  I thought it was really rich, the 2 Tablespoons of butter the recipe originally called for would have made it too rich for me, with 1 it had that good rich flavor without being too heavy.  The 9 year old and 3 year old both loved it and finished their whole bowls and the 9 year old told me more than once that even zucchini tasted good in this soup! The 6 year old is totally not a potato fan and, after about an hour, he finished about half of his small bowl but he did say that he liked it better than the baked potato soup I make.

Yet again, I apologize for the crappy picture.  It's the best one out of the 5 I took, if you can believe it.


I'm sure we'll be making this again.  The prep is pretty much the same as it is for the baked potato soup I make but the general consensus is that the baked potato soup is better so it may not be a regular, but it was enjoyed enough to make in the future to change up our soup options.

No comments:

Post a Comment