Monday, February 6, 2012

Baked Zucchini Chips



Growing up, our next door neighbors had a garden that often produced more zucchini than they could use.  They'd give extras to my parents who would make awesome fried zucchini chips.  Those were my very favorite veggie treats back then, when the only veggies I really liked were carrots and corn on the cob.  I haven't had a zucchini chip in over 15 years so when I saw this pin for Baked Zucchini Chips I was super excited to try them.

I made some for dinner tonight and had high hopes for them.  I modified the recipe a bit, using gluten free breadcrumbs and the Bisquick gluten free baking mix so the 3 year old could have them too.  You could easily make these dairy free as well by omitting the Parmesan and using a rice/soy/oat/almond/whatever milk.  I only used one medium zucchini, instead of 2 small like the recipe states, and ended up having a ton of the milk mixture and breadcrumb mixture left over.


Quick and easy to make, smelled delicious while they were baking, and these things were.so.good!  I was a bit bummed out as the zucchini loving 3 year old took one bite and said he didn't like them, then refused to try any more.  I think maybe the texture threw him off, although he loves sauteed zucchini so who knows!  He's 3.  The 6 year old and 9 year old didn't exactly love them, although they both agreed they were better than regular zucchini.  I loved them, however, and ended up eating almost the whole plate myself.  And now I'm stuffed.


No comments:

Post a Comment