Saturday, January 21, 2012

Oatmeal Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bake Candy Bars

I pinned these No Bake Oatmeal Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars a few weeks ago without actually reading the recipe first.  I was hoping to use gluten free oats and Enjoy Life chocolate chips to make them safe for everyone to enjoy.

Turns out, they call for coconut oil which my touchy stomach doesn't tolerate.  It pretty much rejects anything that's super healthy, I think it hates me.  But, I still wanted to try them for the rest of the family so today I whipped up a batch.

These were ridiculously easy to make, took only about 10 minutes tops.  I made them with gluten free oats, substituted agave nectar for the honey since agave is lower on the GI scale and therefore less affects your blood sugar, added a couple of tablespoons of fiber powder, and I omitted the dried cranberries because we didn't have any. I also halved the recipe since we were low on agave and peanut butter so I made them in a 9" round pan instead of the 9 x 13.


These were a huge hit!  The older two boys and the husband absolutely love them!  Since I used the super expensive gluten free oats, the 3 year old won't even try them of course.  I convinced him to take a tiny nibble off one corner and he wouldn't try any more, saying he doesn't like them.  I'm considering force feeding him as I know he would like them if he gave them half a chance. (kidding, kidding)  I'm hoping that his older brothers utter enjoyment of them may convince him to give them another try.

These are definitely still a treat, but a pretty darn healthy one with the oats, coconut oil, and fiber.  I'm guessing we'll be making these pretty regularly.

*UPDATE:  These did not even last 24 hours.  They're gone.  The 3 year old finally tried one and said "I like these now!" and the 6 year old suggested I make more tomorrow after saying "These are SO delicious!"  The husband called them "dangerous" and I'm pretty sure he's the main reason they're already gone.

2 comments: