Monday, January 23, 2012

Sweet and Sour Chicken



Tonight we had Sweet and Sour Chicken in honor of the Chinese New Year.  I did a Pinterest and Google search of a few different recipes and then kind of modified a couple of those to make this.  I used this sauce recipe  and, instead of breading my own, I used this chicken.


It's the Perdue Simply Smart and it's our current favorite chicken.  It's all natural, the ingredients are all easily pronounceable, it's low in fat, and it's just darn good!!  The husband has it every.single.night for dinner.  He's one of those odd people who can do that with out getting completely sick of a food.  I think his whole menu consisted of 6 different foods before I met him and I like to think that I have opened his eyes and expanded his horizons to all of the yummy food goodness out there. He insisted he hated garlic, until he found out I had been sneaking it in his food for years, he insisted he hated Chinese food until I made him try some back when we were dating and now he loves (at least some of) it, he insisted he hated bagels until I forced him to try them, and he wouldn't let a tomato come within 3 feet of him.  Still can't get him to like pickles or olives (of any color) though.

I digress....

I cooked the chicken for it's regular time and while that was cooking, I steamed some shredded carrots and assembled the sauce from the recipe linked above.  Once the chicken was done, I just cut it up in pieces, poured the sauce over it, and put it in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350 while I made the rice and got the dinner table ready.

This was a HUGE hit!  Everyone loved it!  Overheard from the 9 year old during the course of the meal, "This is awesome!"  "This chicken is delicious!"  "You should make this a lot more often."  "My favorite part of it is everything!".

The 20 year old had 2 big helpings and said she loved it as well.  Even the 6 year old, who despises (and I'm not exaggerating) chicken ate the piece I served him.  He even said it was better than other chicken, but made sure I was still well aware that that didn't mean he actually liked chicken. I scarfed it down myself and would have had seconds but I wanted to save some for the husband to try when he got home.

Any meal that doesn't get whines and moans goes on the regular rotation so this will certainly be one of those!

No comments:

Post a Comment