Friday, January 6, 2012

Super Hero "Dollhouse"



When I first joined Pinterest several months back, I saw a ton of cute pins of bookshelves made into dollhouses for Barbies, or Polly's, or whatnot.  I thought they were adorable and what a fabulous idea, but, being as I have 3 boys, not a project for me.  Then I got the idea to make a kind of boy dollhouse.

I spent a couple of weeks hitting up the local thrift shops until I found this guy for $5.00 that I thought would fit the bill perfectly. 


 I took the boys to the craft store with me to pick out some scrapbook paper in themes they liked.  I thought about decoupaging the paper right onto the bookshelf but I wanted the option of changing out backgrounds or even repainting the bookshelf should the kids get sick of the dollhouse thing eventually.  So, I scrounged around in the garage and found some old yard signs that were made out of a heavy plastic material that I thought would be great to use to mount the paper on.

I measured the back of the shelves and cut the signs to the right size, then simply taped the paper to the signs.  The kids had 4 backgrounds they wanted and the bookshelf only had 3 shelves, so I made one reversible.  The forest scene reverses to a haunted house spooky scene.  


We wanted some kind of standard super hero design, so the kids picked out sky paper for the bottom shelf and then made paint chips into city buildings, another Pinterest idea.


It turned out pretty cool and, 4+ months later, it's still played with almost every day.  Not to mention, it makes a cute shelf for their action figures to be stored on when not being played with.

No comments:

Post a Comment