Sunday, December 11, 2011

Felted Christmas Wreath





This year I signed our family up for a Christmas ornament exchange through a homeschool group I'm on. We needed to make 6 homemade ornaments to send to 6 different families, and in turn, we'll get 6 different homemade ornaments back.

After looking through Pinterest for ideas, we settled on this felted Christmas wreath . I already had white, green, and black sweaters that I had felted last year for a project that I never ended up doing and a red sweater that I also bought at the Goodwill last year but never got around to felting. I picked up one more teal colored sweater at the Salvation Army for about $2 and we were set!

The most time consuming part of this project was the felting, although that's a lot of hands off time, just needs to run through the washer and dryer once or twice, and the cutting out of all the pieces. We needed 6 ornaments for the exchange, plus 1 for us and 2 for gifts so 9 altogether which ended up being more than 400 squares of felted wool. Each ornament takes 60 or so squares so if you were only making a couple, the amount of time cutting out squares would be cut (no pun intended, hehe) way down.

I did all the felting and cutting on my own but called the family together to make the actual ornaments. We turned off the tv and video games, turned on some Christmas music and the tree lights and all gathered in the family room. It was a simple enough project for even the 5 year old to easily grasp and have fun with. All of the kids said they enjoyed doing it and they had fun coming up with different patterns and color combinations. Even the hubby, who is incredibly anti-craft, seem to at least tolerate it which is as much as I can hope for!


It only took us a bit over an hour to make 9 wreaths and I think they turned out adorable! This was a fun craft for everyone to participate in and we would totally recommend it!


No comments:

Post a Comment