Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Grilled Cheese Roll Ups

This is a fairly popular pin that I have seen on several friends boards. I needed something kid friendly, quick, and easy so I figured Grilled Cheese Rolls would be a great dinner to start with. I had planned on getting a little more fun and creative with these, but alas, a sick husband and tired mom prevented that from happening. I did have a few options though.

The 5 year old chose American cheese slices for his, the 9 year old chose Swiss and bacon for his, and I tried a Swiss and bacon as well one with Havarti. I also tried a gluten free one for the 3 year old but that didn't work out at all. The bread rolled out fine, but once I tried to roll it up with the cheese, it just crumbled and fell apart. Sad. We changed up the original recipe a bit and, instead of cooking them in butter, I just used non-stick cooking spray to cut down on some fat. It worked just fine but I'm sure they would have been crispier and even better with the butter, but really, what isn't? We're big fans of Coconut Oil here so next time we'll try cooking them in that to get that extra crispiness.

We all liked these! The 5 year old gave them the ultimate compliment and said he wanted them for his birthday dinner, woo hoo! I thought the Swiss and bacon was fine, but the Havarti was super yummy! That one almost reminded me of those great Monterrey Jack cheese sticks that Baker's Square used to have a looooong time ago.

We'll definitely make these again, getting more creative. I'd like to try them with mozzarella, pepperoni and pizza dipping sauce as well as Brie and thinly sliced apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment