Friday, December 23, 2011

Heating Packs


I have a rice heating pack that I bought for .10 at a garage sale about 10 years ago.  It has been the best .10 I've ever spent.  I use it almost every day for everything from headaches, to stomach aches, to sore muscles.  My kids have been wanting to use mine a lot lately, sometimes I think they just like snuggling up to something warm, so I added that to my list of homemade gifts for them this year.  I didn't have this pinned already so I just searched "rice heating pack" on Pinterest and this is one of the many tutorials I found.

I didn't follow the tutorial exactly, more to just get a general idea.  I picked out a special fabric for each boy; dragons for the 9 year old, pirates for the 5 year old, and sharks for the 3 year old. I used my current heating pack as a template, cut out the fabric, and since I don't know how to use my sewing machine I hand sewed them.  It didn't take too long at all, about an hour each one.

I had read in the comments (boy, you can really learn a lot reading the comments in tutorials, very helpful for hints before you start!) to rinse your rice first so your heating pack doesn't smell like a rice bowl the first few times you use it.  I then added about 15 drops of peppermint essential oil and about 15 drops of cinnamon essential oil to the rice and stirred it up, added it to the bags and stitched them close.  They smell SO yummy!  Like Christmas in a bag!

While this won't be a gifts the boys are jumping up and down over, I think they will end up being used a ton.  I'm going to make another one for myself since my trusty 10 year old friend has seen better days by now.  These are easy to make, even more so if you have sewing machine skills, and the tutorial linked above has a sweet little poem you can include with your heating pack, making it great for gift giving!





No comments:

Post a Comment