Monday, December 19, 2011

Peg Dolls

Another idea that I found on Pinterest for a homemade Christmas gift for my boys were these adorable peg dolls!  There were Harry Potter ones for the 9 year old, Super Hero's for the 3 year old, and I searched out these Super Mario ones for the 5 year old.

There were no tutorials for these designs, although if you Google "peg dolls" you can find basic tutorials for tons of other ones, and it was through one of those sites that I found the website to order the wooden peg people.  You can also find them at craft stores sometimes, although the Joann's in my area only had the dress shaped ones.  I bought the 2 3/8" tall ones from the linked business.  They were only .25 each, the most costly thing was shipping which was around $6 but, still, under $10 for gifts for all three boys ain't too shabby!


It took me about 4-5 hours total to finish all 12 of these people.  I just pulled up the pictures of the designs I wanted to do and did my best to get it at least close.  I'm no artist, that's for sure.


I haven't been able to give reviews on how my kids have liked everything I've tried, like the Harry Potter wands, as they're for Christmas gifts but I can give at least a tiny review on these guys.  The 3 year old has seen my pinned pictures of the peg dolls and every time he sees the super hero ones, he shouts "I want those Mommy!"  Well, after I finished painting the dolls yesterday, I had put them on a dresser in my closet to finish drying completely and forgot they were there.  He was with me while I was putting away laundry this morning and, all of the sudden, his eyes got big and he exclaimed "Mommy!  It's those things I want!"  Oops.  I quickly ushered him out of the closet, closed the door and tried my best to distract him but he was none too happy.  Once I got him settled doing something else, I went back and hid the dolls.  He hadn't forgotten them, though, and a bit later came to me saying, "Those guys are missing!  I can't find the Batman and Robin, they're gone!"  I'm currently trying to convince him it was just his imagination and he never saw anything.  So far, he's not buying it.  But I'm guessing these will be a hit when he opens them on Christmas Eve!




1 comment: