Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Recycled T-Shirt Scarves


While I was having a fairly easy time coming up with homemade gifts for the three boys, it was a little tougher for the 20 year old.  Then I came across these recycled t-shirt scarves and thought they'd be perfect! For the full tutorial, please visit the link.  I already had a pile of t-shirts that I had bought a few months ago in hopes of doing a different pattern of scarves.  I picked mine up for $1.99 on sale at Menard's but you could use any unwanted t-shirt in your closet or find some at a thrift store.


                                                   I set out my shirt and got to work cutting.

When I finished, it looked quite a bit different from the scarf in the tutorial and I realized that I pulled the t-shirt strips tighter than I should have to get that ruffly kind of look.  Another scarf tutorial had said to stretch the strips so that they curl in on each other, so that's what I did.  It still ended up pretty cool.  This will be the 20 year old's Christmas gift.


I wanted to try again, however, to get more of the look in the original blog so I grabbed another t-shirt from my pile and got to work cutting again.  This time I barely pulled on my shirt strips at all before wrapping them around my hand.  They curled in a bit, but not much, and I think it looks a lot more similar to the tutorial scarf.  I also tied this one into a circle for a looped scarf.


It's a bit long so I may end up cutting off a loop or two but, all in all, I like it!  This is a super quick, cheap, and EASY project!  From start to finish, for both scarves, it only took me an hour.  You could easily whip one of these babies out in 20-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment